If you are self-conscious about your smile and considering cosmetic dentistry in Lakewood, dental bonding from Lakewood Smiles Dentistry may be right for you. Dr. William is an experienced cosmetic dentist and this minimally invasive treatment can give you the smile you’ve always wanted.
What Is Dental Bonding, And How Does It Work?
Dental bonding is a cosmetic procedure that uses special dental resin to improve your smile. Dr. William will apply this resin directly to your teeth, then shape and sculpt it to match your surrounding teeth. You can compare this treatment to a sculptor using clay. This dental resin can enhance your smile and treat minor cosmetic issues like chips, small gaps, discolorations, and misshapen teeth. This treatment also involves removing a small amount of enamel from your adjacent teeth to ensure they match your newly-bonded teeth and that your smile looks perfect.
What Can I Expect From The Dental Bonding Procedure?
Dental bonding is quick and completely non-invasive. Treatment usually only takes between 30-60 minutes per tooth, so many patients opt to have multiple teeth bonded in a single appointment.
The procedure begins with a thorough cleaning. Then, a solution is applied to your teeth to roughen them and prepare them for the application of dental resin. Next, Dr. William will select a dental resin that matches the color of your teeth and apply it directly to the tooth which is being bonded.
The resin is then sculpted into the correct shape and a UV light is used to harden the resin. When the resin is hardened, the shape of the tooth is further refined and it is adjusted until it looks just like a natural tooth.
The Benefits Of Dental Bonding
Dental bonding is a very popular cosmetic procedure and has a number of great benefits, including:
- Non-invasive – Unlike many cosmetic treatments, dental bonding does not involve any drilling or removal of natural enamel. It is completely non-invasive, and usually does not even require the use of numbing agents.
- Affordable – Dental bonding is one of the most affordable cosmetic treatments, making it ideal if you would like to correct your smile on a budget.
- Immediate results – The process of dental bonding takes only a single appointment, and you can usually have multiple teeth treated at once. This means you can get immediate results and restore your smile in just one appointment.
How Long Does Dental Bonding Last?
This mostly depends on how well you care for your bonded tooth. Usually, you can expect your bonded tooth last for about 5-10 years without any chipping or damage. The dental resin which is used for bonding is a bit weaker than your natural enamel, and is not quite as strong as alternative treatments like veneers and crowns. This means it has a shorter overall lifespan compared to these alternative treatments. However, it is also much more affordable, in most cases.
If you care for your bonded tooth properly, you can prolong its lifespan. It is important to continue to brush at least twice a day, floss once daily, and make sure you see Dr. William at Lakewood Smiles Dentistry for regular cleanings and oral exams.
In addition, try to avoid biting your nails or chewing other non-food objects like pens and pencils. Remember to stay away from using your bonded tooth to do things like tear tape or open packages. You should also avoid chewing extremely hard foods and candy with your bonded teeth to prevent chipping and breakage. Instead, chew hard foods with your stronger molars.
How Much Does Dental Bonding Cost?
The cost of dental bonding varies based on how many teeth you need to be treated, whether or not you need enameloplasty (shaping & contouring), and a few other factors. To get an accurate quote, schedule a consultation with Dr. William.
Overall, though, dental bonding is usually quite affordable. It’s typically much cheaper than veneers or dental crowns, so it’s a good option if you are on a budget. In some cases, bonding may even be partially covered by insurance, though this will vary based on your insurance provider.
What Cosmetic Issues Can Be Fixed With Dental Bonding?
Dental bonding can be used to treat a variety of different cosmetic dental problems. Here are a few of the most commonly-treated cosmetic issues.
- Serious tooth stains – Dental resin can be used to cover up a stained tooth, making this a great alternative for teeth with severe staining or internal stains that will not respond to traditional teeth whitening treatments.
- Gaps in your smile – Bonding can be used to add more material to your teeth, filling in gaps in your smile and providing you with a more pleasing overall appearance and a brighter smile.
- Uneven teeth – Dental bonding can be used to restore uneven teeth. This is often done alongside enameloplasty (shaping & contouring). Bonding material is used to reshape the teeth, and then enameloplasty is used to gently buff away a thin layer of enamel from the surrounding teeth. Together, this results in a straight, even and attractive smile.
- Minor chips & damage – If your tooth is chipped due to wear & tear, teeth grinding (bruxism) or an oral injury, dental bonding can be used to reshape and repair the tooth. However, bonding should only be used for cosmetic damage. Cracks or serious damage to the tooth usually must be repaired by an alternative restorative treatment such as a dental crown.
Contact Us For An Appointment Today
If you think that dental bonding in Lakewood may be right for you, come to Lakewood Smiles Dentistry for a consultation. We would feel honored to be a part of your journey to a more confident smile. To get started, contact us at (562) 866-0406, or stop by our office at 5220 Clark Ave, Suite 435, Lakewood, CA 90712.
Schedule Your Appointment
Please call us at (562) 866-0406 or schedule your appointment online:Find a Lakewood Dentist at Practice Lakewood Smiles on ZocDoc
For non-emergencies, you can also fill out this contact form with any questions: